Sunday, December 7, 2008

Tracey Emin and Duane Michals

I first fell in love with Tracey Emin for her use of text on quilts. I also fell in love with her drawings. I can't find an example on line of a drawing I REALLY like and I can't find my Tracey Emin book right now to scan something...but I can show you the book and tell you it's pretty good.

A consummate storyteller, Tracey Emin engages the viewer with her candid exploration of universal emotions. Well-known for her confessional art, Tracey Emin reveals intimate details from her life to engage the viewer with her expressions of universal emotions. Her ability to integrate her work and personal life enables Emin to establish an intimacy with the viewer.

This piece was a tent with letters appliqued inside that celebrated everyone the artist had ever slept with. The piece bore the names of more than 100 of her companions. This was only partly true, as "slept with" really meant "slept with"; the names included Emin's grandmother, her teddy bear, and her (later aborted) foetuses.

Sadly, the tent was later victim to a fire in the Momart art warehouse.

This weekend Project Pink Line was at Art Basel Miami Beach. This was one of her 'report back' photos. Super fun. Reminds me of...

A Duane Michals piece I've always loved. Which lead to this Plastic/ Duane Michals inspired DECOY piece.

1 comment:

MBI said...

Un blog estupendo!!!!