Monday, April 14, 2008

How i love old friends...

I have an old old friend. I love old friends. I once wrote a letter with a story about this old friend, in the letter. And that letter went on to be published in The Quarterly Staple. (an old DC based online magazine)

i have never met anyone in my life like this old friend.

and so, this old friend and i used to go to various youth groups together and i was so thrilled to see him post a response to my Pope visiting DC/ new infant of prague doll post.

this is what he said, and i guarantee you it is fact. He reads a lot.

"did you know that Benedict tried to retire twice, when he was a cardinal, but JPII wouldn't let him? He just wanted to go home to Germany to write children's books about cats.

He LOVES cats. He's made the Vatican a home for all the strays of Rome.

If there isn't already a patron saint for stray cats, he will probably become it!"
-Old Friend

So there it is folks.

I have to admit that I had a special place in my heart for Pope JPII and was quite sad when he passed. He became Pope the year i was born (1978) and was the only Pope i ever really knew. I actually had the chance to meet Pope JPII twice. Once when i was a freshman in high school at Burke Catholic. Ten girls and six nuns went to Italy to have easter mass with the Pope. That trip was the first time i ever went into a DISCOTECA or heard of the drink "Bloody Mary".
Another summer my family traveled there with an 80 year old Deacon from Tybee Island, Ga. He had never been on a plane before in his life, but before he died he wanted to take a trip to Italy to see the Vadican and have a viewing with the Pope.

I later wrote in a journal and then made into a collage, that the feeling of seeing the Pope in person was the exact same emotion and awe that I felt when i saw Bob Dylan live.

So, If Pope Benedict will watch over Rose

And keep Punk safe

Then maybe i should give him another chance.

No comments: