Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mingering Mike

I am so excited to be showing along side ALL the other artist listed in the Manifest Hope show. One person I'm really excited about is Mingering Mike. I've been a fan since the moment I heard the story. I am a huge fan of 'folk art' and can't wait to see Mingering Mike's Obama inspired piece.

Between 1968 and 1977 Mingering Mike recorded over fifty albums, managed thirty-five of his own record labels, and produced, directed and starred in nine of his own motion pictures. In 1972 alone he released fifteen LPs and over twenty singles, and his traveling revue played for sold out crowds the world over.

How is it that such a prolific musician has gone under the radar for the more than thirty years? The answer is that all took place in Mike's imagination, and in the vast collection of fake cardboard records and acapella home recordings that he made for himself as a teenager in Washington, D.C. in the late 1960s.

No comments: