Sunday, January 11, 2009

Inspiring brunch with friends leads to Zora Neale Hurston and an afternoon of art.

It's hard for me to explain my love for Jackson Pollock. When I was younger I would watch films of him painting over and over. Read interviews and books. My painting professor in college had met him and hung out on a few occasions and would tell us stories about how he acted and his speech. He had this 'jackson pollock' walk that he would do. My painting professor was a character himself. In his early years he was often called 'the mad diarist'. His real name was Tommy Mew. His paintings were really really good. There was one stored in a teachers lounge in the language building in college. I spent many nights in college where I sat and planned how I could somehow take it and no one ever know. His paintings were HUGE and is why I think I started making such large pieces in the first place. And so...Here's Pollock for good ol times sake...Actually born Paul Jackson Pollock-for those tiny detail art history lovers.

Another oldie but a goodie! Julian Schnabel's BASQUIAT.
I mean..."In 1981, A Nineteen-Year-Old Unknown Graffiti Writer Took The New York Art World By Storm. The Rest Is Art History." PLUS-Jeffrey Wright, Benicio Del Toro, Claire Forlani, David Bowie, Dennis Hopper, Gary Oldman, Christopher Walken, Parker Posey, Courtney Love and the list goes on. HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG? If you have not seen it, this movie is GREAT!

Just to end on a fun note, here's Dali running through Vermeer's Lacemaker.

This painting is actually one of my fathers all time favorites. He has always loved Dutch paintings. He thinks they have real control with the brush.

No comments: