Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sigur Rós

Sometimes people ask me where my drawings come from. Some are made up cartoons I just have in my head. My cartoon drawings usually represent more of what I'm feeling/ thinking. Some are drawings from images I see. These are usually photos, magazines or live drawings while hanging out. These lines usually come about from an obsession I have with something form the subject. The line of a girls waist or the way a hand is laid. And sometimes they come directly form life, places i've been people i've met and the art they make and the impression it has left on me. I thought this was a good example of a drawing I did for a while that people asked me about.

A few years ago I traveled with a good friend of mine Doug to Iceland. He is buds with some people from the band Sigur Rós, who is Icelandic and was finishing off a tour by doing lots of small shows for free at home. This drawing was from the beginning of the Saeglopur video.

Vonlenska is a term used to describe the gibberish sung by the band. It is also commonly known by the English translation of its name, Hopelandic. It takes its name from "Von", a song on Sigur Rós’s debut album Von where it was first used.
Vonlenska is not an actual language people speak, as it lacks a consistent grammar structure, word meaning, or even distinct words. Instead, it consists of emotive syllables and phonemes; the band’s website describes it as “a form of gibberish vocals that fits to the music”.

No comments: