Monday, November 3, 2008

The Library Was Very Fun

And so...
in preps for my new show i have begun research. Today i became a member of the District of Columbia Public library.

There were many options, but I chose this card.
My main goal: find good images of the Pieta and the Sistine Chapel.

The Pietà (1499) is a masterpiece of Renaissance sculpture by Michelangelo in St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. It is the first of a number of works of the same theme by the artist. The statue was commissioned for the French cardinal Jean de Billheres, who was a representative in Rome.
This famous work of art depicts the body of Jesus on the lap of his mother Mary after the Crucifixion. The theme is of Northern origin, popular by that time in France but not yet in Italy. Michelangelo's interpretation of the Pietà is unique to the precedents. It is an important work as it balances the Renaissance ideals of classical beauty with naturalism. The statue is one of the most highly finished works by Michelangelo.

The first time I saw this statue, I was a freshman in high school. I went on a trip with four nuns and about fifteen kids from our catholic school in Indiana to Rome, Italy for Easter Mass at the Vatican. I have seen it three times since. I have seen Michelangelo's Pieta more times than I've seen the Statue of Liberty.

This is all i've got so far.
While I was there I got super side tracked by books of David LaChapelle's photography.
I am a huge fan of his work along with his film RIZE.

This is where I fell in love with MISS PRISSY.
A documentary about a new dance style, plus a DANCE OFF! My HEAVEN.

The library was very fun!

1 comment:

Taxi Gang said...

which library did you go to?