Sunday, May 3, 2009

Warehouse Theater TONIGHT

Sunday May 3 at 8pm
$10
found magazine presents
REQUIEM FOR A PAPER BAG
Hi there!
My name's Davy Rothbart; I'm a reporter for the public radio show This American Life, and I also make a magazine called FOUND which collects notes and letters that folks have found on the ground or on the street and sent in to us from around the world.
Once a year, me and my brother Peter climb in our van with a trunk-load of magical finds and hit the road for a couple of months, putting on a lively reading-and-music FOUND show in dozens of cities. This spring, as part of FOUND Magazine's Denim & Diamonds Tour, which celebrates our brand-new FOUND book, Requiem for a Paper Bag, we're blazing our way to your town! What happens at these FOUND shows? I'll share some of the latest, greatest finds that've landed at FOUND HQ (also known as my parents' house). I tend to get a little rowdy and carried away as I read the finds-I try to read 'em with the energy and emotion they were written with. My brother Peter plays guitar and sings dazzling songs based on FOUND notes (think Flight of the Conchords). And in certain cities, we'll be joined by other special guests, like L.A.'s angel-voiced Watson Twins, and FOUND's teenage sword-swallowing phenom Brett Loudermilk. Plus, we always ask the audience to bring their own finds to share. It's an exhilarating show, and the crowd always seems to laugh a ton and leave feeling inspired to go out and find stuff! For what it's worth, The Los Angeles Times recently called me and my brother "utterly engaging performers."
If you'd like a further sense of what our FOUND show is all about, you can poke around on YouTube and find a couple of our appearances on David Letterman. Me and my brother Peter put our heart and soul into FOUND Magazine and these cross-country tours, sleeping on sofas, in our van, and even on the side of the road for weeks at a time, but it's all worth it to see this community art project continue to grow. Anything you can do to help spread word about FOUND Magazine, our new book, and our FOUND show in your city is hugely appreciated!
Thank you so much for your time, enjoy the brand-new FOUND book, and hope to hear from you soon!
Peace-
DAVY

No comments: